Friday, April 15th, 5:30 PM:
- Marsh Island Community Trail System
- Meet at the Old Town Elementary School at 5:30 with bikes. This is an after work (and before the weekend) trail recovery and clean-up. We will ride over to the Stillwater entrance to the University Forest from the elementary school and to the trail head. Hand saws, loppers, and clippers will work as we will be clearing corridor and debris from the trail. Of course afterwards there are plenty of opportunities for post trail work refreshment at your favorite eatery and brew pub in Orono……
Saturday April 30th, 8am-noon.
- Kiski (Dedham) Trails
- New Trail!! – Leader Keith Blanchard – Meet at 8:30am. New trail for Kiski, which means that there is lots to do. The more the merrier. Rumor has it that Keith will have a grill and burgers. Please let us know ahead of time if you’re coming so we can plan accordingly (email firstname.lastname@example.org). Meet at trailhead at 8:30am.
- Newman Hill Area (see map)
- New Trail!! – Leader Kris Sornberger – meet at the parking area on Putnam Rd. at CBCA then carpool/bike/walk to intersection #23. A work plan for the group will be done at this numbered location. Wear footwear and clothing for working in dirt. Bring snacks and water. Bring hand tools such as Mcleod, Mattock or Rouge Hoe for moving dirt and smoothing trail; hand saws, or loppers will be helpful for removing small stumps, stems and branches. No chainsaws needed. Hand Tools will be provided to you if you do not have any. A new reroute trail will be finished that encircles the beaver pond and Orono’s only great blue heron nesting colony.
- Trail Cleanup!! – Leader Jim Hinds – meet at the parking area on Putnam Rd. then carpool or bicycle to #20. Bring saws and clippers. The trail down Newman Hill toward Black Pond (#13, 17, 19) will be cleared back to allow easier passage and a wet area will be rock armored.
- Other Locations
- Piney Knoll – Leader Mike Opitz – meet at the end of Penobscot Street. Bring mattocks. Work will consist of digging out and clearing invasives.
- Cota Land – Leader Gail White – meet at beginning of trail on Forest Ave. Bring saws and clippers. The east and west boundary lines will be brushed out.
- Manter – Leader Dave Wardrop – meet at McPheters Forest parking area – Bring saws and clippers. The boundary lines will be renewed. Trails will be cleared of branches.
- Orono Bog Boardwalk – Leader Jerry Longcore – park at parking area at the end of Tripp Drive and walk to meet at the log building. Work will be done on the boardwalk to get ready to open for the summer.